Thursday

The Word Humble is an important word in the Bible

God is continually requesting that we be humble. Humility is not a popular word in light of the struggle we all face to get ahead in our world. One has to be bigger and better and make sure that everyone else knows that you are bigger and better.

But humility is good. I don't mean the groveling that is an unhealthy humility. That kind of humility is really an escape from doing the things that I should be doing. I mean a humility that allows us to face the honesty of who we are and then move ahead. When I face who I am honestly, I then can use my talents and help with furthering the Kingdom of God. Without humility, I'm living in "la, la Land" and not being much good to anyone, myself included.
In light of the importance that God places on humility, I stopped to think of the ways that I can maintain humility in my life. Here are some thoughts on how to stay humble.

1. Risk using your talents. When we start using our talents, people inevitably laugh at us. Often, rather than face the scorn, we bury our talents. What a waste for the world that we don't use our talents. And we also lose the chance to be humble.

2. Admit your sins. Ah, this is tough. I don't know about you, but I wish people thought that I were St. Michael of Riverside. And so I often put on a lot of masks to impress people. Then when I'm honest with myself and with others, I have the foundation of the truth and the foundation of humility. For us Catholics, that's what the Sacrament of Reconciliation is all about. We are humble enough to admit our sinfulness and then move to the life and joy of forgiveness. We need to be humble to admit that sinfulness.

3. Go to school. The difficulty with school and learning is that we have to admit to ourselves and others that we don't know it all. We are ignorant. Now that's hitting a real nerve. But, oh, to have the humility to seek learning whether through a class, a book, a TV. show and good tape, ah, that's the key to being humble and growing.

4. Have the courage to praise God. Often times we find it hard to praise the people close to us. Sometimes husband and wives have a hard time praising each other. I guess we're afraid that we will lose something is we praise others. In church we are continually urged to praise and give thanks to God. It is kind of expected. But as with most things we do regularly, we can forget why we do them. Well, praising and thanking God is a good way to keep humble. We admit that God is in control and we are not. That makes a lot of sense.

No comments: